Today would have been Julia Child’s 101st birthday.
The very popular TV chef and author introduced sophisticated French cuisine to mainstream America with her groundbreaking two-volume cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I remember distractedly watching her PBS show as a kid…it would be on in the background and, every now and then, I would stop to listen to the very tall woman with the very funny voice. Of course, I didn’t know it then, but I was watching a pioneer in French cuisine, and cooking in general.
To celebrate Julia’s day, I’ve rounded up a bunch of happenings, posts and assorted goodies that pay tribute to the Queen of French Cuisine.
- If you’ve want to master the art of French cooking, head over to itunes and download the Mastering the Art of French Cooking: Select Recipes App. The app is available at a discounted price until August 18. You can also get the app at the Nook store.
- If you’re in Detroit, head to 24Grille in the Westin Book-Cadillac Hotel – they are honoring Julia Child with a seven-course dining event TONIGHT.
- All of my New Orleans peeps can head to Bayona, where there’s a special Julia Child menu through August 17. Rumor has it that a few look alikes might show up.
- At least a dozen Chicago restaurants are honoring Julia with special menus through August. 31. You can get the complete list of restaurants here.
- Vertical Wine Bistro in Los Angeles is offering a beef bourguinon dinner set through Sunday, August 18.
- Beef Bourguignon is one of Julia’s most famed recipes. If you’re in the mood to make it, you’re in luck! William Sonoma posted the recipe to their blog, in honor of Julia’s birthday.
This is just a quick list, so don’t worry if your town isn’t listed here. There are a lot of Julia Child events going on this week; a quick search is sure to turn up something in your area.
I’ll leave you with this video of Julia’s show, The French Chef. Check out her lobster technique!
P.S. Today is also my paternal grandmother’s birthday! Here’s a pic of her when she was a young girl. Isn’t she pretty?